Thank you for your interest in applying for a scholarship from GHID. Scholarships help defray the cost of attendance to GHID workshops, for certification testing, and applicable professional development endeavors. Scholarships are made available as funds allow and at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee. Earning scholarships is one of the many benefits of being a member of this organization. Funds are contributed by the Barbara Lee Scholarship fund and distributed by the: Greater Houston Interpreters for the Deaf.
Please read the following carefully as it contains important information that you will need to know as you complete the application process.
In order to be eligible to receive a scholarship, you must be a member in good standing of GHID. In addition, preference will be given to applicants holding TSID and/or RID membership.
In order for your application to be considered, you will need to complete the following:
You will need to fill out the application for ITP students.
You are also required to get two recommendation letters from
- ITP Faculty/Staff
- Interpreter in the field or a Deaf Community Member
Please copy & paste this link to your references or you may have them email a recommendation directly to email@example.com
For ITP students to apply: Click here
You will need to fill out the application for professional interpreters.
You are also required to get three recommendation letters from
- Personal family or friend
- Interpreter in the field
- Deaf Community Member
Please copy & paste this link to send to your references or you may have them email a recommendation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
For Professional Interpreters: Click here
Applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Committee two times per year. Application deadlines are as follows:
- January 1st
- June 1st
Scholarship monies will be given with priority to current GHID members who have not received a GHID scholarship within the past two years. Award considerations will be based upon:
- an individual member’s contribution to GHID
- an individual’s proposed reciprocation to GHID: a gift of time, skills or knowledge,
- completeness and thoroughness of the submitted application form,
- clearly stated objectives for the use of the scholarship money, and
- whether or not the scholarship request is in line with the current goals of the organization.The Scholarship Committee will review applications, and make recommendations to the GHID Board in the form of a motion. Once approved by the Board, the Chair will inform applicants of the committee’s decision.
Once notified of an award, scholarship recipients must contact the GHID Treasurer to claim their award and make payment arrangements.
Scholarship recipients will be asked to submit proof that the awarded funds were used as requested, such as a copy of a workshop certificate of completion, verification of completion of testing, etc. Failure to submit proof of use will result in the applicant being asked to refund GHID in full.
For further details you may review the GHID Scholarship Policy.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email the GHID Scholarship Committee.
The GHID Scholarship Committee